Capped Monkey In Manas





Whenever I travel inside Manas I used to look in an around from my vehicle. I also alert my eye and ears to receipt of anything wilderness and abnormal. Though silence prevails inside Manas all the moments some wild cracking able to receipt my experienced ears. If I travel in the morning towards Tinmile to Panchamile area along the embankment of Beki river than my ears alert to get capped langur troupes that area. A troupe of Capped langur (Trachypithecus pileatus) normally present in those localities. As high canopy and some fruit trees available along with the embankment areas. They also roosted in that locality. If I  find a large number of fallen leaves under a tree than I confirmed that a troupe of langur must be present nearby.  They are not 'shy' than other monkeys. I have observed that these species play their own. They never bother about the presence of the human behind a tree. They jumped, they played and feed and gradually move away from one place to another.  

Capped langurs are a larger monkey with males bigger than females. The head is blackish with a long erect coarse hair directed backward and looks like a cap.  They are primarily vegetarian and diet constitutes leaf buds, fruit, flower, bamboo shoots, seed etc subject to availability in different seasons. In Manas, I have seen average 12-14 members in a capped langur troupe including adult male and female, subadults, juveniles, and infants. Another common sighting occurred nearby Mathanguri (Indian and Bhutan International Border). 
A monkey busy on foraging 

This is a schedule-I animal under the Wildlife Protection Act1972,, Government of India. Except for the natural enemy (Clouded leopard), I have not seen the threat for this species in Manas. This is also an indicator species of the good forest. So improvement of protection of Manas NP contributed automatically secure future of this peace-loving primate species.

                    Love Manas and Save Manas for Humankind!

Comments